Discover your full potential. At Tetra Tech, we are collaborating with industry-leading experts for a sustainable future for our world. We combine consulting and engineering with advanced analytics and technology to solve the world's most complex challenges. Our innovation hubs across the globe will enable you to share ideas and best practices while growing your professional network. Wherever you are in your career journey, you will benefit from working with world-class engineers, scientists, and technical specialists.
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees — 27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Apply today and join the company that is Leading with Science®.
Located at the edge of the Arctic, in the heart of the wilderness, lies a city of youth, energy, adventure and prosperity. Yellowknife is a destination spot for young families and workers who want to earn a good living and enjoy the adventure of our great outdoors at the same time. The city is a culturally rich capital thriving with diversity, and home to about 20,000 people. Located on the shores of the beautiful Great Slave Lake, only 512 km south of the Arctic Circle, Yellowknife is known for outdoor recreation, midnight sun, aurora borealis and an unusual blend of northern culture, a city where history is found throughout a modern, bustling metropolis.
We are currently looking for an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to join our Yellowknife office. This is an opportunity to work with world-class engineers and scientists dedicated to working on civil and geotechnical engineering projects in arctic environments, from conceptual design to construction reporting. On occasion your expertise may be needed by our parent company Tetra Tech on some of their challenging international projects.
Some of the Responsibilities you may have:
- Developing sound technical solutions to assist in the design and evaluation of challenging geotechnical applications, particularly foundations in permafrost environments
- Preparing technical letters and reports and participate in proposal development
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff members and co-op students
- Planning resources, schedules, and managing projects to be on budget and on time
- Communicating with coworkers, clients, and sub consultants
- Collecting and analyzing geotechnical and permafrost information
- Reviewing reports prepared by junior staff and preparing geotechnical evaluation reports including recommendations and site development in permafrost environments.
- Participating in design of civil earthwork structures and development of construction specifications
Qualifications that would make you a great candidate:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in civil or geological engineering with a preference for a Master’s degree in geotechnical engineering.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant geotechnical engineering and foundation design experience.
- Relevant arctic engineering and permafrost engineering experience is preferred. Experience in geotechnical reconnaissance and site characterization is essential.
- Proven capabilities in planning and supervising geotechnical investigations and in writing reports and technical communications.
- Strong all-round academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
- Expertise in foundation engineering.
- Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage.
- Experience or aptitude for proposal writing, client development, working in a team setting to meet timelines and other skills appropriate to consulting.
- Registered or eligible to register as a Professional Engineer in Northwest Territories.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Travel will be required in this position throughout Western Canada, and candidates must be prepared to undertake field assignments possibly lasting up to three to four weeks at a time
- Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
What makes Tetra Tech a great place to work:
- Benefits starting day one of employment. Competitive base salary.
- Eligible for overtime (calculated at 1.5 times) that can be banked or paid out, whatever you prefer. Some of our employees work a lot of hours during the busy times and then take extended time off.
- Hybrid work options when you are not in the field. We'll provide the technology for you to work remotely.
- Tetra Tech employs industry leading technical specialists across all environmental disciplines which promotes a strong mentorship environment and opportunity for technical growth.
- Tetra Tech supports life-long learning and provides an annual allowance for educational opportunities.
- You will be working with an amazing, very supportive team that takes a great amount of pride in our reputation and the phenomenal customer service we are known for.
- Tetra Tech is a global company with over 27,000 employees worldwide. By joining this team, you have access to this network of professionals, experience, opportunities, and corporate benefits (e.g., corporate discounts, stock purchase plan).
- Opportunity for advancement within our environmental group and within Tetra Tech globally.
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required but will be explained during the recruitment process if they are necessary. As this position may be serving clients that have vaccination requirements for site access, we may be confirming your eligibility to comply with this requirement.
We offer a great place to work, and an engaging culture that is based on innovation, collaboration and integrity. Our compensation plan includes a competitive hourly rate and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
About Tetra Tech:
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Explore our open positions at https://www.tetratech.com/careers. Follow us on social media to learn more about our people, culture, and opportunities:
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; First Nations Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.