Department of International Education
International Marketing and Recruitment
Nanaimo, British Columbia
VIUFA F1: $48,395 - $77,125 per annum (prorated if part-time). Collective bargaining is ongoing and salary rates will be updated once an agreement is reached and ratified
Technicians are placed on the F1 salary scale based on education, experience and placement criteria as outlined in the Collective Agreement, to an initial maximum of $65,275 per annum .
Appointment Start Date
Appointment End Date
Appointment may end early or be extended depending on return of incumbent.
Reporting to the Associate Registrar, Student Recruitment and Advising, the Recruitment Officer (RO) will focus on developing and implementing effective strategies and processes to encourage prospective local, regional and national students to seek more information from and, ultimately, to apply to study at VIU. Using significant independent decision making while traveling, the RO will establish contact with potential traditional and non-traditional students and students from diverse backgrounds. The RO will also establish contacts and relationships with other post-secondary and high school counselors, agents, agencies and governmental organizations for the purpose of extending VIU's reach.
The Recruitment Officer will:
- Provide a wide range of information related to VIU's programs and services to prospective students and their parents/caregivers.
- Participate in a wide range of on- and off-campus events that are promotional and/or informational in nature and include coordination with VIU students, alumni, staff, and faculty.
- Work closely with Advising, Office of Indigenous Education and Engagement, Office of the Registrar, Brand and Marketing and Strategic Communications and other institutional departments to support the development of strategic plans designed to target recruitment activities.
- Work with VIU employees and Student Ambassadors to prepare them to participate in recruitment activities.
- Play a significant role in assisting with the planning and oversight of Discovery Days, Open House, and other recruitment events.
- Track budgetary expenditures related to recruitment activities.
Successful candidates will participate in a wide range of activities, including, student support; institutional, faculty and departmental committee meetings and other initiatives; and professional activities in keeping with their disciplines in and outside the institution.
Bachelor's Degree from an appropriately accredited institution.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- The ability to work as part of an integrated team and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to search out and analyze data related to student enrolment and student needs.
- Understanding of on-line recruitment practices.
- Proficiency with social media tools and working in an on-line environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity.
- Experience developing and delivering presentation material for multiple target audiences including peers and prospective students.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and implementing special events and projects.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Proficiency with email and MS Office applications, particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Preference will be given to VIU graduates. Familiarity with VIU programs and structure. Experience working in an academic environment, particularly in a recruitment role. Experience delivering training programs and workshops.
VIU is pleased to offer eligible employees a comprehensive benefit plan; ample paid holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan. As part of the VIU campus community, our employees work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and are provided with the tools and training that promote learning and development. The perks of VIU employment are multiple, and include well-being initiatives and services, strategic discounts, and flexible work opportunities.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for faculty, staff, and students. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the VIU community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.