Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba's Top Employers!
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Defined-benefit pension plan.
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off, providing for a balanced approach to work, family life
- Flex-time and partially remote work schedule (providing the option to work remotely 3 days per 2 week period), depending on
nature of work, operational requirements and work location.
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and
exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba's best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation,
commitment and customer service.
We are seeking a Technical Assistant to work in Distribution Engineering Department. Under the general direction of a Design
Engineer, will prepare detailed designs for work orders involving customer service extensions and connections. Consult with other
Hydro departments, customers, and outside organizations on project designs, scheduling and approvals.
- Design and prepare work order packages (construction drawings, bills of materials and cost estimates) for overhead and
underground customer service extensions and connections; all with consideration for existing standards as to safety,
economics, efficiency of operation, and future expansion.
- Prepare and evaluate alternative conceptual designs for electrical distribution additions and modifications for commercial and
residential services, including streetlighting.
- Liaise with Planning, Marketing & Sales, Property, Transmission Stations Operations & Maintenance, Customer Service
Operations, and Construction staff on designs, in-service dates, capacity requirements, and plant locations.
- Determine requirements, obtain, or negotiate for easements, tree trimming, brush clearing, permission for new extensions,
and distribution line relocations. Carry out land title searches as required and prepare recommendations to Property
Department for formal acquisition of easements.
- Consult, negotiate, and coordinate with other internal departments and external authorities regarding design requirements,
cost/resources, and scheduling. External authorities may include Municipal Authority, telecom companies, gas utilities,
railways, pipeline utilities, Manitoba Infrastructure & Transportation, Land Developers, and Transport Canada.
- Coordinate with municipal and city officials, electrical inspectors, consultants, electrical sub-trades, and site supervisors
regarding design and project scheduling.
- Conduct field visits with Marketing & Sales, Construction, Customer Service Operations, and Transmission Stations
Operations & Maintenance personnel to evaluate suggestions for design, modifications, equipment, and land purchase
options. Recommend on-site design changes as required.
- Review "As Built" drawings to verify the accuracy of the drawings and the correct completion of the field work.
- Long term electrical apprenticeship resulting in Journeyperson Certificate in Line Trades plus a minimum of three years
directly related experience beyond the completion of the apprenticeship.
- A two year diploma in Engineering Technology – Electrical or Civil specialization, from an institute of recognized standing and
a minimum of three years directly related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Corporation's electrical distribution systems, including materials and design standards.
- Strong technical aptitude in electrical distribution systems with emphasis on engineering practices, calculations, methods and
MANITOBA HYDRO IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND EMPLOYMENT EQUITY